top of page


As one of the leading builders in Leeds and the surrounding areas, we provide clients with tailored services to manage their projects efficiently and cost effectively. If you have any questions about the process of your project, then we invite you to check out some of the previously asked questions below. Please feel free to contact us if you’d like any additional information.

Do I Need Planning Permission To Extend?

Planning Permission will most likely be required if you intend on:

  • Extending over half the area of land around the original house

  • Extending over 6m away from the rear of an attached property

  • Extending over 8m away from the rear of a detached property

  • Extending higher than the highest part of the existing roof, or higher at the eaves than the existing eaves

  • Extending on the side over half the width of the original house

  • Extending more than one storey beyond the rear wall of the original house by more than three metres or cross the 7m boundary opposite the rear wall of the house

  • Extending toward a public highway

  • Using materials in any exterior work of different appearance to those on the original house

What Is Permitted Development?

Permitted Development Rights act as a relaxed version of planning, and they are part of the General Permitted Development Order (GDPO) granted by Parliament, rather than the local authority. Their purpose is to allow homeowners to develop their properties quickly as long as the parameters of the rights are met without having to make an actual application.

Can Neighbours Object To My Extension?

If you’re planning to build a larger single storey rear extension (between 3-6m for a semi/terraced house and 4-8m for a detached), your Local Planning Authority will need to be informed of the proposed work. The local authority will then consult your adjoining neighbours to advise them of your planned development. If your neighbours raise any concerns or objections, the local authority will decide if their objections are valid and whether or not your plans can go ahead. If they are refused, your plans would need to revert back to the smaller constraints under permitted development.

What Is The Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 covers three distinctive types of work; alterations to party structures (usually walls but may also be floors), the construction of new walls at the boundary and excavation close to neighbouring properties.


These are some typical examples of work that is likely to be covered by the Act:


  • Cutting beams into a party wall as part of a loft conversion

  • Removing chimney breasts that are attached to a party wall

  • Excavating for the foundations to a new extension within 3m of a neighbouring or shared structure

  • Underpinning a party wall to facilitate a basement extension


Where work falls within the scope of the Act it is necessary for a building owner to serve notice and obtain the affected adjoining owner’s consent; if that consent is not forthcoming the parties are deemed to be ‘in dispute’ under the Act and surveyors must be appointed so that the dispute can be resolved by way of a Party Wall Agreement (technically called an ‘Award’). If the two appointed surveyors fail to agree upon any of the issues in dispute, they can make a referral to a previously selected Third Surveyor.


1 Elmwood Court, 1A Wetherby Road, Leeds, LS8 2JU

0113 418 2345

Find us on:

  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Instagram

Thanks for submitting!

Trustmark (PNG).png
The Building Safety Group (PNG).png
bottom of page